Monday, October 12, 2009

Episode 1: First Visit to MD Anderson



I had my first Chemo on Friday, Oct. 2nd. I had to be there at 11:30am, and they took me right into a room with a bed and TV. I get into bed and they give me some shots beforehand. Then going on 12:30 they put the IV in and start the first chemo medicine which is TRASTUZUMAB (Herceptin) they all have 2 names, this is the one I tested positive for the Her2 cancer cells, unfortunately this is a very expensive drug I take this every 3 weeks with Chemo and continue for a full year, this runs $4,439.00 a treatment, wow, it is suppose to be 100% effective in killing this cancer cell. I did fine with this drug.

The second chemo medicine was CARBOPLATIN (Paraplatin) one of the side effects was tingling, numbness and pain. I had a little tingling but the time I pushed the nurses button and she came it started to go away, so I had no problem with this one, they take 1 1/2 hrs. each.

The third chemo medicine is DOCETAXEL (Taxotere) this one after she gave me with in a very short time I felt my face just flushing and getting hot I told her right away and then I felt funny in my chest, but she had immediately stopped it, she said that is why I stayed in here longer up to 15 minutes she would have, because she said the majority of people have a reaction the first time. It was kind of scary she gave me a steroid and strong benedryl and redid it 30 minutes later and I had no problem then.

I had to go to the ladies room and you have to unplug this big circular stand with all your medicines and take a plug out from stand. So I am starting out in the hall and a nurse sees me and says "Oh are you looking for the bathrooms?" So I told her, "No, I am going home!" she laughed. Oh how I really would like to of gone home and would wake up from this dream still. But I think it will really become real when I have no hair, ha. Oh, my lunch was delicious. I had a Chicken salad sub on wheat bread and fresh fruit, it was impressive.

I got a shot 24 hours later PEGFILGRASTIM (Neulasta) to help in preventing or reducing the risk of infection while I am being treated with these cancer-fighting medicines. It stimulates the bone marrow to produce white blood cells (the cells responsible for fighting infection), boosting the body's immune system. So I will do this each time after Chemo.

I can not get sick at all, I can never have a temperature over 101 or I have to go to the emergency room or I can die. They were VERY specific about that. So I will miss a lot of functions this next 4 1/2 months as flu season and colds are all coming up, and I always get sore throats and colds so this is going to be very difficult and scary time for me, hopefully it will go by fast!

I do not have the energy I had before that is for sure, I can do things and then have to go rest, I tend to overdue still but I will learn fast. Nausea not to bad I have to eat when I am hungry. Your bones get a little sore, but I have medicine. I pray it doesn't get worse I want to start walking again, they say that is good. Before I know it I will be back there. Keep me in your prayers, oh how I FEEL them. THE FIGHT IS ON! And Debbie will WIN!!! Love you all!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you can rock short hair! I know every hallway you were in :) So glad your first treatment went well and I know you'll be loving having the portocath soon so you don't have to get so many IVs. You are so strong. Thanks for sharing all of this with us! Fight like a girl! BTW, I have that song up on my blog if you want to listen to it.

Erica and Orlando said...

You look beautiful in short hair! Thank you for sharing. You are so strong, I love your attitude about all this.

Jeanie said...

You are so amazing!!! You and yours are in our hearts and prayers. One day at a time...you go girl!!!

James & Kristen said...

I liked being able to watch the video! Your attitude is amazing and I think the wig looks great!!!

DI said...

I just finished reading a great book about a man's miracle, which he endured during his lifetime. He learned that ultimately, it is our families, our relationships, and how we are able to serve others that matters eternally. It is not who we know, but how we love that counts in the world to come. "Because I have been given much, I too much give;" Beautiful lyric's to a song we sing in Church.
Hang in their sister...Your angels are watching over you! I love you more.

Heidi-Marie said...

I loved your video. And I love your positive attitude. I can't wait to come to Corpus this weekend. Kami and I are getting together and I definitely want to see you!

Love,
Jersey

SmithFamily06 said...

Debbie thanks so much for sharing this with all of us. I check your blog every day to see if anything new has changed. I can't wait to get my "fight like a girl" t-shirt!

Tiffany said...

Debbie, I LOVED this video, keep them coming! As I was watching, I was so moved by how positive you are. You are a GREAT source of inspiration and strength through adversity. We are all behind you! We love you and pray for you and your family.

Maegan said...

Your descriptions of the process makes cancer seem so real. Like it could happen to anyone. And then here you are having to deal with all this. I love the security guard saying how good God is as you watch the fish tank. Life can hand you any number of surprises, it's how you chose to see them that seems to make all the difference. Thanks for sharing your journey. Love and luck to you!

Post a Comment