Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Beginning

September 2, 2009 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer, they said it was Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, Stage 2. That's when this dream I thought I could wake up from all started, but it wasn't a dream.

I was scared and sad at the same time and thinking, "This doesn't run in my family how can this happen to me?" Well, I soon learned that many women who have Breast Cancer, it does not run in their families either. So basically anyone can get it.

I went to this first Doctor who then recommended me to an Oncologist. Two days later I went to see him. I did not have any blood work done yet, or x-rays. The Oncologist recommended that I have blood work and a full body scan. He then said he was going to start Chemotherapy the next week. I told this information to my sister, who told her good friend who happens to be good friends with a Radiology Oncologist. When he heard this he said, "NO, you tell her to go to MD Anderson," which is in Houston about 4 hrs. away from where I live. My sister called me that night told me this news which gave me some hope and made me feel as if a heavy black cloud was lifted off of me, and I was happy. I was so scared and like anyone, I wanted a second opinion. She told me that she would go with me, and my mother and I have a cousin who has offered to take me. My husband is self-employed and owns his own business and just started a new job. I new it would be hard for him to go. I told my sister to tell my husband what she told me, and I just cried, I was overwhelmed with information, yet so happy with the news as that is where I wanted to go in the first place; it seems many people from here go to MD Anderson.

So the next day, I got on the phone and called MD Anderson and had to go through some procedures first, having Doctors fax my information. I did get an appointment a week and a half later. I am so happy and thankful to my sister for looking out for me, she tends to do that for all the family, she doesn't settle for just anything. And we shouldn't either. Get a second opinion if you are not happy with what you here, do not settle for one opinion especially if you do not feel so sure about it. I also had a family member who offered to pay for this at the time, so everything worked out for me to go to MD Anderson.

My good friend Cheryl, who lives in Houston called me before I had my appointment and said I could stay with her anytime, that made me so happy, and she only lives 25 minutes from there.

I have been open about this to all my family and friends and this has really helped me to have all their support,love and prayers. It has made me a stronger person because I have shared my trial.

I don't know what lies ahead for me yet, I know it may not be easy, I have tried to prepare myself for things I may have to face and go through. I know I will be sad at times but not for long, I know my Heavenly Father will be with me through all of this and I pray for strength everyday. I will be positive and strong for my family, I will not let them down.

My Aunt Cheri sent me a quote by Brigham Young,
"Every trial we have in this life, is necessary for our salvation."
I've thought a lot about that quote and it makes me me feel good, I know I will be stronger from this trial and grow from it. I have 4 wonderful children, 3 of them married and 7 beautiful grand kids, so yes I will fight all the way, I have to much to do and see and have many more memories to make with my family and my precious grand kids and those yet to come. I still have one more beautiful daughter to see get married one day. I have so much to live for, so I will never give up and think there is no hope, I will be strong and positive and know that Heavenly Father is always there for me. I will never, ever, blame him for my trials. I love the quote, "I never said it would be easy, just that it would be worth it." For me, this is just the beginning; my trial has just begun.

12 comments:

Steve Reed said...

We're all here for you! You are so blessed to have the support of so many people who care very deeply about you.

Juliekins said...

Debbie, I am so proud of you and your attitude. What a hard trial! Just remember that even when you get sad, we all still love you and cheer for you. When you feel weak, we will be strong. You really have been such a good example to me and others around you. You and your family are so wonderful and beautiful. There never was a greater cause to fight. We will keep you in our family's prayers. We love you.
-Julie King Black

Allison said...

Mom you are just AWESOME!!! You truly are a brave woman you are such a wonderful mom and friend. And look at you, you are going through all this and you are thinking about us and being strong for us. You have helped all of us so much in our lives and many others as well. It's your turn to get taken care of. We all have faith in you and Heavenly Father that there is a plan for you.

Your personality shines to all those around you. And I know you will be an example up there at MD Anderson. I am proud to call you my mother and hope one day I can become the mom you were to us to my children.

I love you so much Mom!!!!

Sale Fails said...

I really like this site! What a good idea. Debbie you are such a strong and awesome person, and I know your courage will be an amazing example to so many around you! We are all here for you!

Erica and Orlando said...

You are so strong Debbie, you are an example to me. I know you will get through this. You and your family are always in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Debbie, you are such a strong woman. You are loved by many people and you have the prayers of many people to help you. You have always had such a radiating personality and seem to be able to touch all those who meet you. I loved your testimony but the part that stands out the most to me is when you said, "Now don't you dare feel sorry for me, cause I am still crazy Debbie." I think that one statement said it all. It shows your courage. It shows your determination. It shows your strong will. But most of all it shows the person that we all love and admire. Our crazy Debbie.

Heidi-Marie said...

You are such a strong positive woman. You are a great example to everyone. You are a fighter and you have so much support backing you. You are in our prayers and we are here for anything you need.
-Jersey

Kami said...

It makes me feel so good that there are so many people who love you just as much as I do. It doesn't surprise me at all though. I am so proud of you Mom!I know that you are going to get through this. I love you so much and i am so greatful to be here to see you through this. You are a wonderful Mother and my very best friend, I love you so much!

Joe and Maegen Cruz Family said...

You are amazing and you will be in our prayers.

Unknown said...

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I know the journey ahead will be long and hard but I believe in you and I know you will be ok. I have had breast cancer twice now and if I can do it, any one can.

Steven L. Paulson said...

I well always be thinking of you ,actually I always have ,your my Little BIG sister ,I could always feel your spirit when you wear near and now I feel your strength even more,no words can express I'M sure what your going through ,but I hope you feel all the love people are giving to you and use it to get better,LOVE STEVE

BrannChrissy said...

Debbie you inspire us and our prayers are always with you!! Love, WorkmanFamily

Post a Comment